Aug 14, 2012

SABBATICAL RANDOMNESS


MILES HIKED:
Erik 100
Laura 91
Curtis 46.5
Sadie 44

Erik also biked 96 miles!



DINNERS COOKED:
Laura -- 1
Erik-- no idea how many but he cooked every dinner except 1!

At the beginning of the trip Erik offered to cook every night if I did the dishes.  I accepted that deal and enjoyed many meals made by my amazing husband!  Lucky me!  And, sometimes I even got out of dishes because I have two teenagers who are able (if not willing) to do dishes.  Again, Lucky me!






FAVORITE PLACES:
Erik -- Arches
Laura -- Devil's Garden hike at Arches
Curtis -- Arches and Yellowstone
Sadie -- Arches








OTTER POPS EATEN IN 10 DAYS:

Erik 2
Laura 3
Curtis and Sadie 95!!!

I don't usually/ever buy otter pops but I threw caution to the wind and picked up a box before we went to Arches where we knew it would be 90 -100 degrees.  You can imagine my surprise when a week and a half later I went to get an Otter Pop out of the freezer (blue is the best) and they were all gone!

REAL SHOWERS TAKEN:
About 17 (Just for reference normally in 6 weeks I would take 42 showers)


PLACES WE STAYED:
Campgrounds  13
Friends house  1
Boise Bible College 1
Walmart parking lots  2





MILES DRIVEN:
Over 4000.  I don't think we even want to know how much we spent on gas!



CAMPGROUNDS THAT AREN'T UNDER A FIRE BAN:
4.   Would have been nice to know before we carried firewood with us for 3 weeks.













STATES DRIVEN THROUGH:

Oregon, California, Nevada, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, (back to Colorado), (back through Wyoming), South Dakota, (Wyoming again), Montana, Idaho and back to Oregon!



STATE LICENSE PLATES WE DIDN'T SEE:
Deleware, Hawaii, Mississippi, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont






PICTURES TAKEN:
Over 1000 (and that is after I deleted a ton)









FRIENDS THAT HELPED US WITH OUR TRIP:
Too many to count!

-Our amazing church gave Erik a sabbatical.
-Our church lifted us up in prayer and gave us gas cards.
-Dave and Sherry let us borrow the RV.  The thought of six weeks in a tent was a tad overwhelming!
-Shelly supplied us with more junk food than could fit into the cupboards!  Our kids were in heaven!        Seriously, there were about four grocery bags full of just treats!
-Peggy gave me rolls of quarters for the laundromat.  What an unexpected surprise that really touched my heart.
-Stacy made delicious cookies.  However, they got eaten before we even got on the road...
-Friends who preached for Erik while he was gone.
-Katie let me borrow a vacuum cleaner. (There's no way we could have made it six weeks without one!)
-Thony loaned us the GPS... it only tried to kill us once!  "Turn right in 10 feet" (right over the edge of a cliff!)  "RECALCULATING! RECALCULATING!"
-Doug showed up on our doorstep just a few hours after we got home with a half gallon of ice cream!  Definitely made the unpacking a little more bearable.

Thank you everyone mentioned and unmentioned who made our trip possible.  We are truly blessed!
















2 comments:

  1. Laura thank you for your posts...they were a joy to read, and I have enjoyed your photo album. I am so thankful that the Lord gave all of you a good rest and brought you home safely!
    Cathy Nason

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading about all your exploits and where you had been and were about to go to. So glad you have such wonderful friends and a very special church family who provided this once in a lifetime "adventure"!

    ReplyDelete