Aug 12, 2012

SOUTH DAKOTA

We were all looking forward to South Dakota for different reasons.  Curtis was excited because we would be visiting Mt. Rushmore and he loves all things presidential.  Sadie and I were pretty happy because our campground actually had showers.  And, everyone was happy because this campground also had hook-ups for the RV.  Yay!  Movies, computer, Kindles, DSi, X-box.  Most of our campgrounds have been without electricity so this week was definitely a treat!

Our first stop was Mt. Rushmore (and where most our S. Dakota pictures were taken).






We really didn't do a whole lot that week except for a lot of relaxing.  I finished reading "The Count of Monte Cristo".  Three mornings Erik and I hiked five miles around the lake.  One day we hung out at the lake.  Another day we rode bikes five very hilly miles to the closest lodge for ice cream and internet.  While we were at the lodge I sent in an application on-line for a teaching job.  Just as we were getting back to the campground I realized that in my cover letter I put the wrong school's name.  So, the next morning Erik and I rode back to the lodge on our bikes again to fix my mistake.  On this trip I got to ride his super light road bike and he rode the heavy mountain bike. Those hills were a lot easier on the light road bike!

One day Erik headed out by himself to hike a trail he had found on the map.  Apparently, the trail wasn't much of a trail and crossed a creek six times.  He finally ended up turning around and heading back because he wasn't sure he was ever going to get to where he thought he should be going.  Unfortunately, three or four days after that hike he discovered that he must have been walking through poison ivy.

Some of the wildlife Erik saw on his hike:



Mostly, South Dakota was all about relaxation.  I didn't take very many pictures.  Partly because we didn't do much but I think part of the reason is that I was starting to get overwhelmed by all the pictures I've taken and the thought of scrapbooking them all!  

Oh, many others were excited about South Dakota because the Sturgis motorcycle rally started two days after we left.  There were bikers ALL over the place.  

Next stop: Yellowstone and then home!  I think we are all feeling ready to go home.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm...I didn't know Mt. Rushmore could actually be experienced with blue sky and warm weather. So glad it was great weather for you all. South Dakota sounded like a nice relaxing time for you!! :>)

    ReplyDelete